Topic: irssi, logging a chat w/o logging enabled

Yea, sorry, couldn't find a better title. tongue

This is probably the shortest howto in this forum so here it goes.

Last night I had a conversation with someone. I usually IRC from a remote box so I don't log anything because, well, I'm paranoid.
Thing is that when I woke up this morning I really wanted to have the conversation saved on my drive. So, if you're lazy like me and don't feel like scrolling back, copying and pasting as you go, here's what I did:

First, you enable logging on the window you want to save the buffer from.

/window log on

And then you use /lastlog to scroll the entire contents of the buffer from give window.

/lastlog

Note that if the buffer is bigger than 1000 lines you'll need to use /lastlog with the '-force' option like so:

/lastlog -force

Now that we've first enabled logging on this window, all the output from the lastlog command will be saved to a file stored by default in your homedir.

Hope someone finds this guide useful some day. smile

P.S.: Obviously this won't work if the window you want to use this guide on has been closed. tongue

Re: irssi, logging a chat w/o logging enabled

He's so happy about his discovery big_smile

Well done ax!

<wintellect> NetBSD users are smart enough to accept that there's no 3D support tongue

dynek wrote:

He's so happy about his discovery big_smile

Well done ax!

Thanks ken! tongue

I was really happy this morning. smile

I just googled for this very need - and am glad to say that this very forum entry was found on the first page of a google search (I think 3rd one down IIRC)

big_smile    Well done AccessExcess!!!! Well done!!!

"UBER" means I don't drink the coffee... I chew the beans instead
             -- Copyright BSDnexus

My Google search:

"irssi save buffer"

5th hit.

Solved. Thankyou.

Wow, almost can't believe this little crazy howto of mine actually helped somebody years after I wrote it. Don't even recall doing it, to be honest. But I know why I wanted to achieve this. big_smile