Topic: Java IRC client?

Does anyone think it would be a good idea to hide a java chat client behind the forum login?  I am not sure if you'd rather preserve the barrier to #bsd, but it might open things up a bit.

PunBB in particular is easy to extend.  Simply copy the PunBB index.php file, delete the stuff that shows the forums, and put the applet embedding html between:

if (!$pun_user['is_guest']) {
  // html to embed client
} else {
  echo "Must be logged in to chat<br/>";
}

Just a thought - would make things pretty accessible for many smile

pF

http://www.0x743.com/vee (the program formerly known as vii)

Re: Java IRC client?

Well considering that for some reason I can't connect to #bsd from work and I've been trying for weeks, I'd use it. But on the other hand - given the influx of lazy newbies over at bsdforums and the possiblity of them drifting over here I'd vote against it. But, I do like #bsd and most of the time I have to chat is at work....man I'm torn....

Last edited by RoddieRod (2005-10-26 14:08:20)

"An educator never says what he himself thinks, but only that which he thinks it is good for those whom he is educating to hear."
-Nietzsche

I found this neat AJAX app at hotscripts.com called JaxBox that does what I really wanted - a simple customizable shoutbox that I anyone can use to say "hey" to others currently perusing the forums.  I haven't been to BSDForums in a while, is it really getting that bad?

pF

http://www.0x743.com/vee (the program formerly known as vii)

It's not that bad yet. But it seems to me to be going that way. There was one guy that admitted that he was not going to read the manuals. There seems to be a lot more of extremely simple questions that are answered everywhere but the posters are just to lazy to look for. And of course the were is the GUI questions.

Or maybe I just spend to much time on that board when I'm at work....

Last edited by RoddieRod (2009-02-02 14:35:49)

"An educator never says what he himself thinks, but only that which he thinks it is good for those whom he is educating to hear."
-Nietzsche

If you can't get into IRC from work because they block the corresponding network traffic, a Java IRC client won't work either.

And I don't see a Java client as necessary. We're not dealing with computer illiterates here (I hope).

RoddieRod: try ssh'ing to a box at home and using IRC from there smile.  and if they block port 22 just change which port sshd runs one big_smile.

Maxlor wrote:

If you can't get into IRC from work because they block the corresponding network traffic, a Java IRC client won't work either.

True. I was just hoping that maybe that the traffice would be different through a web browser. Our enterprise network guys aren't that good. They claim to have ssh, telnet and ftp blocked but I've been ssh into my home machine for over years since it's been blocked.

-Nietzsche

asemisldkfj wrote:

RoddieRod: try ssh'ing to a box at home and using IRC from there smile.  and if they block port 22 just change which port sshd runs one big_smile.

this just hit me after I posted the other reply smile

Now I've got to get a console IRC client or experiement with X through ssh.

-Nietzsche

RoddieRod wrote:
asemisldkfj wrote:

this just hit me after I posted the other reply smile

Now I've got to get a console IRC client or experiement with X through ssh.

use irssi as console irc client or use tightvnc via ssh tunnel for X windows. wink

| There's no place like /home | There's no place like /home | There's no place like /home |

perlfan wrote:

get an account at freeshell.org - only costs $1, and you can ssh into that box and irc all day long

hmmmm, doesn't sound "FREE" to me!

scrapshells.com is far better! I know 'cos I use it!

"UBER" means I don't drink the coffee... I chew the beans instead
             -- Copyright BSDnexus

diy is better!  and use irssi!

perlfan wrote:

I haven't been to BSDForums in a while, is it really getting that bad?pF

Situation's bad, IMHO. But I don't have any "God, what a freakin n00b" attitude hardwired in me, so i try to help as much as I can.

But it's really getting frustrating. And depressing. A pet peeve of mine is the "BSDDesktop" thingies going around. They don't help ease the situation any. On the other hand, they manage to magnificently worsen things.