Topic: work section

would be have a cool section for ideas that members here can use at work. Such as setting up a bsd webserver with pmwiki for making a knowledgebase for your dept. . I just think the whole idea of bringing ideas to work is a great benefit for everyone

For example, Linux had at least two completely independent USB stacks before Linus Torvalds rejected them both and wrote a third one from scratch, after he found both existent Linux  stacks unsatisfactory.  (When pressed for an explanation as to why he selected the API he did, Torvalds stated: "because I wanted to."

Re: work section

why do you need a 'work' section to bring bsd to work?

"setting up a bsd webserver with pmwiki for making a knowledgebase for your dept" can be done for work or not for work, along with anything else ever done with bsd.

Last edited by lucas (2005-12-06 01:29:36)

Plus we have a RTFM section. That'd go in there.

<wintellect> NetBSD users are smart enough to accept that there's no 3D support tongue

the point was about good ideas.... that are suitable for the typcal work place, just an idea, thanks for shooting it down

For example, Linux had at least two completely independent USB stacks before Linus Torvalds rejected them both and wrote a third one from scratch, after he found both existent Linux  stacks unsatisfactory.  (When pressed for an explanation as to why he selected the API he did, Torvalds stated: "because I wanted to."

so post them! i'm all for good ideas. but most ideas for work will also apply to home and personal projects, and vice versa. that's just my point.

I don't mind any BSD work related tips since my work PC dual boots WinXP and FreeBSD wink even if I very rarely get to use BSD here since it's not supposed to be on here but oh well we're sys admins and while the rest has some SuSE boxes to play with I go the Unix route...;)

I have another idea though, what about a BSD on Macs section, specific stuff or would that run under General BSD..I think it'd be nice to have something like a BSD on Macs or BSD on Sparcs or SGIs wink section so we can post our stories and help others.

Last edited by BSDDomi (2005-12-14 12:35:04)

I think a "why I hate my fucking job" forum is much more appropriate than a "how I can bring BSD to my work" one.

edit:
btw, YES I DO smile

Last edited by perlfan (2005-12-14 19:02:33)

http://www.0x743.com/vee (the program formerly known as vii)

BSDDomi wrote:

I have another idea though, what about a BSD on Macs section, specific stuff or would that run under General BSD..I think it'd be nice to have something like a BSD on Macs or BSD on Sparcs or SGIs wink section so we can post our stories and help others.

again, it's not like the general bsd is "i386 only". people already post about other platforms. in my opinion, making a new section for "other platforms" simply singles out "other platforms."

kinda the same argument i made for the "work section" ...

perlfan wrote:

I think a "why I hate my fucking job" forum is much more appropriate than a "how I can bring BSD to my work" one.

edit:
btw, YES I DO smile

hmm good idea